Thursday, July 22, 2010

Small steps. Very small steps

I had my first evaluation in physical therapy today.  The good news is that I have made some progress!  Go me!  And my therapist is amazed at how flexible I am.  I'm not ready to abandon therapy, and she says it will be a long haul, but once I can walk far enough to start working out in the water, I think it will help a lot.  I'm hoping I can get a scholarship to the Y, so I can go for free.  I prefer the pool at Four Seasons, but they don't have any sort of scholarship program, and it's around $500/year.    So NOT an option.

After therapy, I went to Kroger and picked up some food.  I love one particular Kroger in Normal, because it has a fantastic produce department, and the prices are good.  They also have a store brand of ready-to-eat veggies that they put on clearance a few days before the sell-by date, which is a tremendous bargain.  You can either eat them raw, or cook them in the little plastic bags.  Baby asparagus, all ready to steam, for $1.99!  And yes, I picked up extra garlic to make garlic butter.  Butter is good for you, people!  Much better than fake fats and too many empty carbs.  Auntie Kate is wise, and knows how she is supposed to eat, even if she isn't very good at taking her own advice.     So if you have a local Kroger/Hilander/whatever it is in your area, make sure you check out the Private Selection produce.  They put it on clearance while it's still in great shape, and those bags are great for steaming.

However, what you do NOT want to do is buy the Kroger Value brand yogurt.  I picked it up because it was cheaper than the regular Kroger brand, which is actually good.  The strawberry was a shade of pink similar to pepto bismal, but more lurid, and it contained no fruit, but plenty of high fructose corn syrup, which is really, really, REALLY bad for you, and therefore should be saved only for foods you adore.  Pay the extra seven cents and get the regular Kroger brand.  Trust me on this one.

My Aunt Maria is going to try to help me a bit.  And that's Maria as in Mariah, not Mareeea.  It's an old family name going back hundreds of years.  She was very nice and supportive and kind, which made me cry a bit, because we've had our conflicts in the past.  Leah, her daughter, is not only my cousin, but one of my best friends in the world, and someone I love a great deal.  In other family news, Ysaeran is very displeased with me because I won't let him go outside and get shot by the neighbour on the east, or eaten by Dawn's dogs.  I know.  I'm just that cruel.

In other good news, I'm applying for a freelance writing gig at Bright Hub.  I don't know if I'll get it, or how much I'll get to write, but if I do, I'll probably link to my posts there.  I have an idea for a project on eating better on a budget, and trying to stick to it.  But not doing it in an onerous fashion.  I wouldn't get paid very much, but it might lead to something else.  I also may be doing some game designing work, as well as volunteering for Sterile Feral

Today's suggestion:  Release your inner swordjock and play Threshold RPG!  It's a roleplay MUD, which means you have to stay in character, and there aren't pictures.  It's like a book you write with people all over the world.   I've always preferred books to films, which is why I prefer Threshold to World of Warcrack and the like.  Tell them Ysadri sent you.

No comments:

Post a Comment