Monday, July 26, 2010

Food groups and Sweet Potatoes

Just a quick update.  The heat and my swollen throat and uvula have kept me from getting much done.  Thankfully my doctor appointment is right after therapy tomorrow morning.  I did get a single load of laundry done at the laundromat.  I know it hasn't been as hot today as it has been, but still too hot for me to be outside.  I could barely breathe dragging the basket into and out of the house. 

Anyway, we're having a playful argument on Threshold about food groups.  My personal choices are bacon, cheese, onions, fried, carbs, and caffeine.  A friend of mine claims there are only two:  cheese and beer.  Sweet Potato Queen Jill Connor Browne says the food groups are: “sweet, salty, fried and au gratin”.  So I suppose mine are fairly similar.  She does include, I think, alcohol as a sub-group at times.  I'm not much of a drinker unless campfires, singing, and flirting are involved. 

Bacon, on the other hand, I have loved all my life.  I'm not very good at cooking it, and that is one of the very few reasons I miss The Hemorrhoid, my erstwhile spouse.  He was good at cooking bacon.  I do find it amusing that it's suddenly trendy to be a bacon fan, but who am I to quibble?  (Dawn says he's a hemorrhoid because a$$holes at least have uses)

Today's book suggestion:  The Sweet Potato Queens Book of Love by Jill Connor Browne.  Who wrote the Book of Love?  They did!  A group of southern women who 30 years ago now proclaimed themselves Queens and continue to do so.  The author is the Boss Queen, and this book may very well change your life.  If I could overcome my own inertia and develop some gumption, it might well change mine someday.  Funny and very real, you'll either love it or hate it.   I've purchased at least half a dozen copies of this book to give away to people I think need it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment